Research Master in Linguistics and Communication Sciencesis a two-year course of study offered jointly by Tilburg University and Radboud University Nijmegen. Both universities combine leading-edge research with excellent education. This program, with its strong emphasis on empirical study, is unique in the Netherlands.
The program covers the numerous ways in which written and spoken language is used - for example, to persuade, to inform, and to exchange ideas. Because communication and the use of language are so tightly interwoven, we take an integrated approach. For example, when other, non-verbal cues are taken into account, understanding spoken language is made easier. Such cues may include facial expressions and eye contact. The interrelationships between language and communication have been further illuminated by developments in information and communication technology. These have opened up exciting new areas of research, providing insight, for example, into ways in which information from both linguistic and non-linguistic sources can be integrated in multimodal messages.
Location: Tilburg and Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Duration: 2 years
Specializations: Communication, Language and Speech Technology, Psycholinguistics, Language and Society, Language Acquisition
Main Subjects: Foundations of Language & Communication, Corpus and Experimental Methods
Possible careers: research positions at universities and research and management positions in businesses, (non-) profit organizations, the educational sector and the government (e.g., the Ministry of Education, Culture and Science)
• Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline with an average score of 7.5 (out of 10) on your preliminary examinations in the second and third years of your completed Bachelor's program, and a minimum score of 8 on your final Bachelor's thesis OR Master's degree in a relevant discipline with an average score of 7.5 (out of 10) on your preliminary examinations of your completed Master's program and a minimum score of 8 on your final Master's thesis, or equivalent scores for these study units in a former or non-Dutch higher education system
• Legalized translation of the bachelor or master degree (if not in English)
• IELTS with minimum 7 or TOEFL with minimum 100 or CAE with minimum B or CPE
• Motivation Letter
• Bachelor's or Master's thesis or written assignment
• Sufficient talent, affinity and motivation with respect to doing scientific research, as demonstrated in the Bachelor's or Master's thesis (or a comparable essay), or in a dedicated research proposal.
For more information, please CLICK HERE.