Research Master in Philosophy is a two-year program that covers a wide range of subjects in philosophy. Tilburg's University overall aim is to provide you with the skills and insight needed to do independent intellectual work in philosophy at a postgraduate level. Some of its students want to acquire these skills and insights as preparation for a PhD track, some aspire to use them in another research-related profession (e.g., a NGO or a think tank) while others are just excited by the intellectual challenge. But all are invited to participate in a lively research environment in which students are encouraged to interact with some of the best minds in the field.
The distinctive characteristic of this research master's program in philosophy is its emphasis on skills relating to reasoning, analysis, argumentation and communication. You will receive a solid, thorough training in the art of thinking, learn to analyze and to understand complex subjects, and acquire techniques that help you to convey your thoughts accurately.
As a research naster's graduate you will be able to make a valuable contribution to the intellectual debate on philosophy, both amongst colleagues and in wider social circles.
Location: Tilburg, the Netherlands
Duration: 2 years
Main Subjects: Political Philosophy, Philosophy of Mind and Human Action
Possible careers: PhD researcher, policy advisor, science communicator, researcher in NGO's or think tank, consultant
• Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline with an average score of 7.5 (out of 10) on your preliminary examinations in the second and third years of your completed Bachelor's program, and a minimum score of 8 on your final Bachelor's thesis, or equivalent scores for these study units in a non-Dutch higher education system OR Master's degree; in a relevant discipline with an average score of 7.5 (out of 10) on your preliminary examinations of your completed Master's program and a minimum score of 8 on your final Master's thesis, or equivalent scores for these study units in a former or non-Dutch higher education system
• Legalized translation of the bachelor or master degree (if not in English)
• Sufficient talent, affinity and motivation with respect to doing scientific research, as demonstrated in the Bachelor's or Master's thesis (or a comparable essay), or in a dedicated research proposal
• IELTS with minimum 7 or TOEFL with minimum 100 or CAE or CPE
• Motivation Letter
• Dedicated writing sample in form of an academic essay or research proposal (only in English and at least 2000 words
• Copy of your Bachelor's or Master's thesis or an essay completed during your studies (only in English and at least 2000 words)
• Thesis / paper / article written in English language
For more information, please CLICK HERE.