The Philosophy has a unique role in modern society. Unlike other academic disciplines that can not be reduced to a set of questions or a source. Philosophers are in all aspects of science and society. In order to do this they must declare two main qualities: the ability to analyze complex issues logically and conceptually and the ability to document their findings in an accessible and persuasive language. Such skills are not innate. They require intensive training. Master program finds the first professional steps towards the acquisition of these properties.
What makes this program special?
Philosophy Master's program is a two year course which is designed for students with proven abilities who want to prepare for an academic career in philosophy. Therefore, this program offers the best options:
• A combination of international recognition of research and excellent teaching;
• High capacity for scientific seminars in the history of philosophy, continental philosophy and analytical philosophy;
• Wide range of specialties: Philosophical Anthropology, Metaphysics, Philosophy of mind, philosophy of language and logic, Philosophical Ethics, Social and Political Philosophy and History of Philosophy;
• Focus on training in research skills;
• A personal supervisor who guides the students during the training;
• Ability to acquire PhD in the Netherlands or abroad;
• International environment
The program offers the following specializations:
Metaphysics and Epistemology – The Metaphysics and Epistemology specialization focuses on the development of the tradition of hermeneutics - key figures Schleiermacher, Dilthey, Heidegger, Gadamer, Ricoeur and Derrida.
Philosophical Anthropology- You will learn the philosophical significance of philosophical hermeneutics developed by Freud and his followers. Research focuses in particular on the phenomenological tradition (Sartre, Merleau-Ponty, Deleuze and Butler).
Philosophical Ethics- In philosophical ethics you will explore the moral consequences of human actions, in terms of virtue (Aristotle, McIntyre), phenomenology (Heidegger, Levinas) and hermeneutics (Gadamer, Ricoeur). This department also works as an international research project of Nietzsche.
Social and Political Philosophy- In social and political philosophy you will learn the "political" as a basis / emphasis on non-conflict aspect of human nature. Spinoza, Hobbes, Kant, Schmitt, Arendt, Zizek and Foucault are the main figures in this specialization.
Philosophy of Language and Logic- specialization involves the study of linguistic expressions and words, sentences, texts and dialogues where the emphasis is on the context in which these expressions were interpreted.
Philosophy of Mind- specialization in Philosophy of Mind and Science, will study issues such as mental causation, the unique of human consciousness and the nature of the mental state from the perspective of the neurophenomenenologyand cognitive paradigm.
History of Philosophy- choosing this specialization, you will learn about the development of philosophy and metaphysics of the middle Ages to modern times, in particular the evolution of the science of psychology and physics in terms of philosophy.
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Duration: 2 years
Start month: September / February
Specializations: Metaphysics and Epistemology, Philosophical Anthropology, Philosophical Ethics, Social and Political Philosophy, Philosophy of Language and Logic, Philosophy of Mind, History of Philosophy
Possible careers: This program is designed for people whose ambitions are to devote to research. Currently more than 60% of graduates acquire and doctorate in the Netherlands or abroad. The rest of the students are realized in the field of politics, administration, journalism or education. Reputation of Radboud University Nijmegen and the Philosophy Faculty in particular provides students a good basis for future.
- Copy of ID card;
- Bachelor degree in Philosophy or related fields (original and translated into English); students must have acquired at least 60 EC in Philosophical disciplines; Bachelor's programme must be the equivalent of 7.5 or more; the reasons for wishing to enroll in the programme and the chosen area of specialisation;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Motivation letter in which the applicant to demonstrate their research capabilities;
- Essay on Philosophical Subject;
- Application trought OSIRIS system
- IELTS certificate with a minimum of 6.5 points; TOEFL Internet version at least 90; TOEFL computer version 233; Cambridge Advanced rated "C".
For more information, please CLICK HERE